Glenville, WV's award-winning news source
Published on Friday, 31 January 2014 15:15
Written by glenvil2
Local candidates file for multiple offices
For the May Primary, many local and regional candidates have filed for a wide variety of elective offices or for representing their respective parties in the November General Election.
For the upcoming seat on the Gilmer County Commission, two Democratic candidates have filed, with no Republican hopefuls to-date. (Write-ins can still run, under the requirements of state law, which can be obtained at County Clerk Jean Butcher's office at the Courthouse.)
Facing off in the primary will be:
- Brian Kennedy, Dem., Normantown; and
- Reta Kight, Dem., Glenville.
- For the three seats on the nonpartisan Gilmer County Board of Education, the following candidates are running:
- Carl L. Armour, Independent, Glenville;
- Larry Butcher, Republican, Coxs Mills;
- Norma Hurley, Democrat, Normantown; and
- Thomas "Tom" Ratliff, Leading Creek Rd., Glenville.
For the State Senate (12th District), two Democrats filed for the Democratic Primary and one Republican in the G.O.P.'s Primary, those candidates being as follows:
Samuel "Sam" Cann, Dem., Bridgeport, and
- Mike Romano, Dem., Clarksburg in the Democratic Primary.
- Michael "Mike" McQueen, Rep., Clarksburg in the G.O.P.'s Primary.
For the State House of Delegates (33rd District-Clay, Calhoun and part of Gilmer), the following candidates filed:
- David A. Walker, Dem., Procious (Clay) in the Democratic Primary;
- Roger Hanshaw, Rep., Wallback (Clay) in the Republican Primary.
- For the State House of Delegates (34th District-Braxton and part of Gilmer County), three candidates filed:
- Brent Boggs, Dem., Gassaway, in the Democratic Primary;
- Brian K. Griffith, Rep., Glenville; and
- June Turner, Rep., Duck Run, Glenville, the latter two filing for the one slot in the Republican Primary.
For the Gilmer County Democratic Executive Committee-Female member, four have thrown their hats in the ring, notably:
- Wilda Porter Jones, Dem., Linn;
- Heather Minney, Dem., Cedarville;
- Sandra Moyers Pettit, Dem., Sand Fork, and
- Anna Jean Rogucki, Dem., Glenville.
For County Democratic Executive Committee-Male, the candidates facing off are as follows:
- Conner Ferguson, Dem., Glenville; and
- Robert L. "Bob" Radabaugh, Dem., Linn.
For the County Republican Executive Committee-Male, only one candidate has stepped forward:
- Willard Wright, Jr., Rep., Glenville.
For candidates running in either other counties or across the state, check the Secretary of State's Office at: www.soswv.gov
City's Special Election Sat., Feb. 8
The city of Glenville's Special Levy Election for the maintenance of streets, curbs and lighting will be held on Sat., Feb. 8 at City Hall.
The sample ballot is placed in this newspaper, as required by law, on page 7B for the voters' benefit.
Early Voting will take place from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on this Sat., Feb. 1 - in person - at City Hall, while the last day to obtain Absentee Ballots will be on next Mon., Feb. 3.
Upcoming events in Gilmer
There are a number of agencies in Gilmer County that will hold public meetings over the next week, including:
- The Gilmer County Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) is having its quarterly meeting at the Gilmer County Volunteer Fire Department Glenville Station on next Tues., Feb. 4, 2014. This meeting is open to any Gilmer Countian wishing to participate or learn more about LEPC. If you have any questions about the LEPC or the upcoming meeting, please call 304-997-5281 (Eric) or 304-904-8786 (Martin). The meeting begins at 5:00 p.m.
- On Fri., Feb. 7, 2014 there will be a Longaberger and Coach Bingo at the Gilmer County Senior Center. The doors will open at 5:00 p.m. and bingo will begin at 6:00 p.m. Concessions and raffles will be available. A super 21st game and extra games will be offered the day of bingo. All proceeds will go to Sand Fork PTO. The PTO is trying to raise money for school trips, fun/field day and yearbooks for all students.
- An Evening of Elegance is planned for February 14, 2014 at the Gilmer County Senior Center. Come enjoy an evening of music, dancing, food and fun with friends. Doors will open at 5:00 p.m., with a Italian-themed buffet served at 6:00 p.m. The cost is $10 per person. For more information or to reserve tickets please contact Devin at 304-462-5761.